Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Little Time

She stood by the pay phone outside the grocery store...calling to people here and there. I couldn't quite make out what she said...though I supposed she was asking for money. Many spoke to her as they hurried past...one man even stepped closer to hear what she said....but I didn't see anyone give her money. A young man, probably in his early 20's, walked up to use the pay phone. The woman stepped aside and the man made his call. After he finished, it looked like he handed something to the woman. It seemed, then, that he was going to walk away, but he kept standing with her...talking. After a few more minutes, he casually hopped up on the newspaper vending machine to continue his conversation with the woman.

And I thought of Jesus. I thought of Jesus taking time to talk to the poor and the hurting. I thought of Jesus willing to speak to those that others brushed aside. I thought of Jesus reaching out to others in love.

I saw Jesus in the actions of that young man casually sitting on top of the newspaper vending machine....taking his time to reach out to someone in need who came across his path that day.

Maybe God will bring someone across your path today that He would like for you to speak to. Are you ready to "hop up on the newspaper vending machine" and give them a little of your time?


Lord,
Open my eyes to really see the people You bring across my path today...both the ones who are openly hurting and the ones who quietly keep their pain inside. Help me to reach out to them in love just like Jesus did. Let me make a difference in the lives of others today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12