Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Ride Away...

I only clicked on the news story to read about weather related problems in the northwest....

but I found the story of someone's life...

and death.

***************************************************************

The article I was reading told about the weather and then near the bottom it listed a couple of weather related fatalities. One was a dancer from New York City.

Since my heart is so often in New York these days, I was drawn to the story. As I looked on the Internet, I found out more about the accident and about the woman who had died...and I sadly thought it a strange coincidence that her credits listed her as being in a movie I had watched earlier that evening.

The pileup happened in New Jersey....a winter's night....an icy road.....several cars. A moment in time...lives forever changed. Initially, right after the accident, all four of the people in the car were ok. They got out of the automobile for a few minutes and just as they were going to get back in, aware of the danger of standing outside, a car slammed into two of the dancers. The woman died at the scene. Her husband, who she had been married to for only a few months, was in critical condition. The other two people with them, also dancers, dodged out of the way and ended up with only bruises.

I couldn't help reading additional news stories about them. The woman who died was well thought of.....kind....took new dancers under her wing and mentored them. She didn't have to do that. She could have used her time for her own gain....could have focused on herself with little thought of the others around her....but she chose to reach out....chose to love rather than compete with the other dancers.

I had a difficult time sleeping that night. I couldn't help thinking about how fragile life is....how it can end at any second....couldn't help considering what I've been doing with my own life...and wondering about steps ahead.

We only get one life. A limited number of days to do the things God wants us to accomplish. I want to live well...want to please my Father....want to hear the words, "Well done, faithful servant," when I leave the earth.

Each of us needs to consider how we're living our lives.

After all, we're all just a ride....a heartbeat....a breath.....away from eternity.

And I have to ask....do you know God? Do you know that He loves you and sent Jesus to die for your sins? Do you know that when you believe in Him and ask Him to forgive your sins you have eternal life? Do you know you are loved with an unconditional love? It's all there...love, acceptance, forgiveness, eternal life, strength for living today....and so much more I can't even say it all...it's all there...if you accept it.

I pray you accept it.

God longs for you to believe in His Son...longs to welcome you into His family....longs to have you in heaven with Him when you die.

Will you ask Jesus to be the Lord of your life...your Savior?

Will you do it now?

......There are no guarantees you will have tomorrow.


*******************************************************

If you already know God, please pray for Julio, the husband of the woman who died. (And for all the friends and family members who are hurting during this difficult time.) He suffered a broken leg in the accident. The doctors are hopeful he will dance again someday, but there is much physical healing that needs to take place for him to be able to do that.

...And he is mourning the death of his wife.

...a tragedy so deep it's difficult to comprehend. I know, though, that God is able to bring Julio through it....is able to comfort and take the broken pieces of his life...and the broken pieces of our own lives....and make something new and beautiful out of it all...in His time.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
Ps. 34:18

"To all who mourn in Israel, He will give beauty for ashes, joy instead of mourning, praise instead of despair. For the Lord has planted them like strong and graceful oaks for His own glory." Isaiah. 61:3