Sunday, February 10, 2008

Friends in Unlikely Places

"She met her husband online," my friend at work said.

"You're kidding," I replied.


I had only been on the internet a relatively short time when that conversation took place and I was very skeptical of people getting to know others in that fashion. I mean, I had always heard these horror stories about things that happened to people who actually met up with others they had talked to online.

So I was a little apprehensive as I approached the group that walked through the theatre doors in Chicago.

"Excuse me...are you ____ and ____?" I asked tentatively.


...Well, they were who I thought they were and we talked for a few minutes. Then we went to our seats in different locations of the theatre.

Later, I had the pleasure of speaking more with them and meeting others in our group (in that city and at other times and places as well) who had talked together online. And I have to say, they are a GREAT group of people!! We laugh together, talk on the phone together, pray for one another, discuss what's happening in our lives with each other....basically do all the things you'd do with a friend in your own town except call them up and ask them to go to dinner that night. (But we do call each other and set up times to meet together in a particular city and we share dinner then!!...and lots of laughs!!)

This past weekend, I was supposed to meet up with a few of my friends in New York City. Unfortunately, I was sick and wasn't able to make it. But I had plenty of texts and phone calls from them. And as I sit here writing this now, I kinda feel a little like I was actually there with them the past couple of days!!

Thanks for letting me share NYC with you all this weekend! It was fun!!

And thanks to God for the blessing of all my friends I've met on the internet.....friends that God brought into my life...in a most unlikely place!!