Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Last Day

As soon as I finished saying the words, I wished I could have taken them back.


***********************************************************************


It was the last day of school. I had given some gifts to my students. Among them was a small tablet of paper. A couple of students immediately started writing as soon as they received theirs. A few minutes later, a thank you note was given to me--written on paper from the tablet. We went on about our day and just as it was time to clean up and leave for the year, I quickly scanned the insides of the desks once again to make sure everything was out and no one had left anything behind. When I noticed a piece of paper in the desk of the other student who had been writing I said, "Please take out everything in your desk." As soon as I finished saying the words, I wished I could have taken them back because just as I completed my sentence, I realized that the student didn't accidentally leave the paper in his desk, rather he was carefully placing the paper inside so that I would find it after he had left. (Ever left a note for someone that you didn't want them to read until you were gone? I have.) Anyway, he obediently took the paper out and I felt horrible. As we walked out the door, he handed the paper to me. I couldn't help reading it before he left even though he had intended for me to see it after he was gone. I won't say everything he said, but he told me he had a great year in my class. I smiled and told him it had been great having him in my class and his face lit up. (Smile. God worked it out even though I had ruined his surprise.)

Later, I read his note again and it brought tears (joyful tears!) to my eyes. Sometimes you never know what effect your life has on another. His words were a blessing to me. I'm glad he decided to share his thoughts.


How about you?
 
Anybody you need to tell that they've made a difference in your life?
 

You don't need a fancy gift to thank them. You don't even need a sparkly card.

A plain sheet of notebook paper will do just fine.

Or words said face to face.
 


In whatever way you decide to let them know, I bet it will be a blessing to them.


 
 
I know it was to me.
 



 
"What a joy it is to find just the right word for the right occasion!" Prov. 15:23
 
**********************************************************************