Friday, March 7, 2008

All Things

The first scripture I remember really thinking about and applying to my life was Romans 8:28. "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

I was introduced to that scripture through a book I read called Joni by Joni Eareckson Tada. When I was a young girl, someone in my Sunday School class had the book and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to read it.

I got a copy of the book and as I read, I was amazed at Joni's faith...faith that sustained her through a very difficult time. You see, Joni was paralyzed in a diving accident when she was a teen-ager. She was already a Christian, but this accident deepened her spiritual walk.

Joni believed then, and still does to this day, that God works all things together for good for those who love Him and have made Jesus their Lord and Savior.

I believe that, too.

Some people think that means we think that everything is "good"....but that's not what the verse is saying. It says that even when difficult things happen, God is able to redeem them and make something good come from them.

God has used Joni's accident and her life in a wheelchair to touch many people who may never have had the chance to learn about God had it not been for Joni speaking to them or being touched by the ministry she's involved with today. People will live for eternity in heaven because of Joni and her testimony. That is certainly God working things out for good....a terrible accident...a life altered in a second....many entering heaven because of being introduced to God through her accident and her life.

No, not everything that happens in our world is good....far from it.

But when we encounter difficulties and hardships, we need to have faith that God is able to take the situations and events in our lives that aren't ideal...things that may even hurt....and ultimately work them out for good....He will do that for those who love Him and are living for Him.

And I'm so grateful for that.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28