Friday, July 13, 2007

Drummer Boy

Sometimes I feel like the little drummer boy....the one who has no gift to bring. I don't sing (well, yes, I do sing....a LOT....but nobody would be lining up to hear ME sing! LOL!!), and I don't play the clarinet anymore (not a large market for a clarinet-playing adult unless you're REALLY good and in an orchestra or something....and, yeah, I'm definitely not that good!). I'm too old to twirl baton (but I do twirl my pencil at times...and the handle of the handbasket at the grocery store every once in a while!). I can't do stand-up comedy (though I can make my friends laugh on occasion). I don't speak in a lecture series. I don't act on stage (though I can fake people out pretty well when I'm joking around about something). I can't really sew or cook...though I can sew on a button when needed and I use a microwave as well as the next person!....yeah...not really anything to give it sometimes seems. The little drummer boy....he and I....we're two peas in a pod. I know there are things I do to help others...things I do that make a difference in the world....but a gift? Something to give back to God? Sometimes it seems the only thing I have to give are words. I don't write eloquently, though I wish I did....there are so many people who do. But in God's hands....He can multiply what I do give...the things I do write...little and lacking though it all is. He can multiply it like the fish and the loaves....if He chooses....maybe let it feed hungry hearts just as the fish and loaves fed hungry people. I pray He does that. I pray He somehow uses the words I write to touch the hearts of others.

And maybe....maybe Jesus would even smile at me and at what I've written....just like He smiled at the little drummer boy and his drum in the song so many of us have sung.


At least I hope He does....

Cause words are what I bring.
It's the gift I lay before the King.


Pa rum pum pum pum.