Monday, July 2, 2007

Never Know

Several years ago, I walked into the house and said quietly to my roommate, "I think I just saw someone get killed." The news reports later confirmed what I thought I had seen.

I was driving home after checking on a house for a friend who was out of town. I was driving safely in the flow of traffic, but I felt impressed by God to slow down...so I did. The wind was blowing and suddenly I could see dirt flying across the freeway ahead of me. Then...it was surreal....an electronic message sign on the freeway started falling over, as if in slow motion, right onto the lanes of the freeway....blown over by the wind. I prayed for the people ahead of me...that everyone would be able to get out of the way. I thought everyone had cleared the sign and I got over in the next lane to go around it. As I was changing lanes, a car drove right in front of me and I slowed down so as not to hit it. The car kept going slowly across all the lanes of the freeway and then stopped at the side of the road as if someone had intended for it to be parked there. I pulled in front of the car, jumped out, and headed back to see if the person was ok...but a gentleman who had pulled in behind the car got there before I did. He looked into the driver's side window, and then looked at me with a pained expression on his face, put his hands up in a way that told me not to come any closer, and shook his head. I'm a pretty determined person, at times, and I don't always do what others think I should do, but something in his face made me stop where I was. The man and I exchanged a few words and then I got back in my car and drove away. There was nothing I could do and I didn't want to hinder the emergency vehicles that would soon be there.

I drove home in shock. The line between life and death has always been somewhat difficult for me to comprehend. One second someone's alive, the next they aren't.

If I hadn't slowed down earlier when I felt impressed to, would I have been under that sign at the time it fell? And the car of the man who died in the accident....it looked like it was being driven across the lanes and intentionally parked at the side of the freeway...did God make sure it happened that way so others weren't injured by a car that had no driver?

I don't know the answer to those questions...but I do know that we don't know when our last day on earth will be. That man didn't know that his life would come to an end that day. He got into his car and headed out for his destination just as we all do.

Maybe you happened upon my blog on the internet while surfing....maybe you're one of my friends and you clicked on my blog intentionally.....no matter who you are...however you came to be reading this...God loves you very much! He wants you to know Him. If you haven't checked out the Bible, please do that. Ask God to make Himself real to you and He will.

He made Himself real to me.